In 1863, the town was established by the Wilhem Zeraua the first chief of the White Flag clan of the OvaHerero people. By 1871 a brewery was established by Anders Ohlsson and Axel Eriksson. Later on a trading post was also added. Erikkson’s business was based on the routes from southern Angola and the Cape Colony. This made it possible for trade routes to be regulated and used.